Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Can a place of work legally ask for you to break a vow of silence?

I work in a restaurant, a job that I strongly no longer want to work but has a good time shift and weekends off (the 2 reasons why I stay besides getting a paycheck). Lately I've been wise cracking to everyone, even sometimes myself, about the crappy organization (close to none) that we have at the place. I make the food and strongly believe that most mistakes are from the cashiers. (Statiscally I'm right.) The managers constant excuse is that the4 cashiers are new and are gonna make mistakes. The head cashier has been there for 7 or 8 months and is second in mistakes made. Since I wanna tell them off so much (managers included) I've decided to not speak when I am at my job unless it's towards customers. As retaliation my manager has told me if I do not speak I can lose my job, this coming from the "higher authorities" of the company. So I wanna know if they can legally fire me for not speaking.|||Absolutely. If they're directing questions at you or asking that you respond verbally and you don't, you are not performing your job. They have every right to fire you.





It boils down to this. If you believe you can stay and make a difference, follow the chains of command and stay within policies and rules no matter what. If you don't, you'll just get fired and labeled a troublemaker .





If you just hate the job and don't care about fixing the issues, then quit. You do noone any good (especially yourself) by sticking around and causing trouble just to be a jerk.|||Actually you can be fired for just about anything. Lack of communication with co-workers would certainly qualify.|||I don't see how your attitude would help your situation dude. Shove your vow of silence where the sun don't shine or go find another job, but don't act like a kid.


Not communicating with people at your work and doing it on purpose will affect your productivity and other people's productivity and I think they can fire you for it. You need an attitude adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment