Friday, December 2, 2011

Should I have made my disgust known or did I do the right thing sitting in angry silence?

I went to a couples lunch with my wife today. It's a group of fellow foster parents turned adopted parents. (My wife and I are in the process of adopting my nieces after being their guardians for over a year) One of the parents shared a story about how she and her same-sex partner (which is not the problem I can care less if they are lesbians so please no antigay comments) thought it was funny when their foster son's grandmother cried in court begging to for custody of her grandson after just finding out she was not really his grandmother (after a DNA test was done on her son) Evidently she would have been a suitable placement for the child but after a paternity test was was ineligible, though she loved the boy. The couple then said that they had lite candles and prayed to "mothergods" that they would "win" in court and get to keep the boy. They went on about what a great feeling it was watching her cry. When I asked if there was anything wrong with the woman to make them feel that way, they said "No, nothing like that she was a middle class librarian, but you know, she was a catholic and didn't like people like us."


I just couldn't help but feel sorry for that kid that he ended up with two egocentric jerks like these women.





was I right to just smile and nod my head hiding my anger?|||Yes you did the right thing. Personally I would have said something about teaching our children to love others and have empathy but I don't think those bitches would have taken to that idea|||u did the right thing, but those women sound like jerks. I feel bad for the grandma and the kid|||no, maybe you shouldve told them how you felt|||You could not have changed their attitudes.





I would have felt great sorrow that they were so callous and uncaring about the grandmother. And I'm not sure they will do a good job raising this boy, if they can't model compassion and kindness for him.





Yes, I too would have kept my mouth shut. People only see what they want to see, and when it's not flattering, they are even less likely to see it in themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment