Friday, December 2, 2011

Is my cockatiel acting right? Can't find my question online. ?

I'll admit I'm a new bird owner, but I've done my home work since rescuing this bird, and have a large enough cage, toys,outside perch, the right foods, and a wonderful vet.


What I want to know is more of a behavioral question. Let me start from the beginning.


I have had my tiel for 6 days. The first 2 days he didn't move. The 3rd day he was chirping loudly, hopping around the cage like a mad man, and just very very active. The 4th day he slowed down again, stopped making any noise, but moved around the cage, ate drank etc.


He's been like this since. And he still hasn't made a peep.


I'm getting concerned that some thing isn't right. He still will not venture near an open cage door (i've left it open for hours at a time), with and with out coaxing. I have not gone and stuck my hand in the cage at him and try to get him. I know not to do this. I havent' handled him at all, and that drives me bonkers because I feel like if i could handle him, we could start socializing a little more!! However the fact that he has just kind of sat there and ate quietly for the past few days has me wondering.


Now, something I want to mention because maybe this has been why..my 6 and 8 year old girls have been home from school on vacation. They are very loud, very obnoxious LOL but very good with all animals. I wonder if the craziness in the house has got him feeling cooped up? His cage is placed some what near the entry from a hall way, but he doesn't seem to mind us in and out of the hallway, in fact he becomes alert and watchful. But maybe i'm mistaking that for fear??


I don't know. I just want to make sure he's okay, and that he will come around, and act like a normal cockatiel!!


(because right now, this silence is killer!!!!!!)|||I wouldn't leave the door open just yet. He needs the security around him right now of knowing that he is safe. Your kids being home could have something to do with it too. He probably needs time to himself just to get use to the noises of the house and the people in it. If there is a lot of activity right there you may need to move the cage to somewhere like a corner or at least place a towel over the back and maybe part of the sides. Just be patient with him, and soon he will be socializing with you! He is eating and drinking so no worries there, just give it a little time.|||Your probably should consider relocating your bird cage to a quieter environment where he can feel a little more relaxed and less on edge, remember the biggest killer in birds is stress and you should avoid this by any means possible, your cockatiel may just be getting used to his new home, settling in but do try not to startle him much, (slamming doors loud music,drafty windows, Hallways doorways, dark places etc. best avoided) i would warn you not to try and catch him spontaneously as this may leave him with a fear of hand/fingers instead try coaxing him by offering seed in a flat open palmed hand and gently talk to your bird calling him name etc. you should try doing this regularly until he starts to feel a little more sociable remember this will require patience ! lol


As for leaving him out to fly he may not realize the cage door is open, try bringing the cage down maybe try putting it on the floor and taking his food bowls out and place them on the floor outside the cage and at a distance call your bird (i find talking in a higher pitched voice helps Lol) and over time he should start to become a little more sociable and come out to explore his new surroundings,





also if you haven't already, provide grit and cuttlefish for your cockatiel this is a must, as it is used for digestion





Good luck!|||I really don't know what to tell you, but maybe you should find another place for the bird. Maybe by a window. And slowly try and let the bird get use to you, don't rush the bird. And check with the vet again|||do not forget he came from a rescue, you do not know what kind of life he had before, just give him time, and talk to him alot in a sweet voice. he will learn to trust you. try to keep him in a more quiet place for a while. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment